Monday, December 5, 2011

A face hidden by Adverts (translation)


This is a modest attempt by me to portray the  maturity of Bengali Poetry to readers foreign to the language.
Following is a translation of the immortal poem : "Mukh dheke jay biggapone" (1984)by revered Bengali poet Sankha Ghosh. Incase you like it I believe my purpose is successful, incase you don't the fault lies solely with the translator.

Note: To maintain the rhythm of the original masterpiece I am forced to use the word advert (the Brit informal shortform)instead of advertisement.

Do comment honestly.

A Face hidden by Adverts.

Standing alone waiting for you
where the road bends, diverts.
Waiting to show my face to you-
smacked hidden by adverts.

A couple of simple exchanges
of secret glances between us
burn out bright -loudly intense-
fired by advertised ruckus!

In what light one sees another
isn’t easy to estimate.
Pardon me my native land
whatever I exaggerate.

All the glances of our eyes are sold
everything between you and me-
The neon glow is ready to sell,
A life kept safe personally.

My words for you stand alone
where the road bends, diverts.
Only that tired mask of mine-
dangle down, from the adverts.

For every one who understands Bengali , here is a recitation of the original piece  by the poet himself:

1 comment:

King Jeremy the Wicked II said...

I don't know if you remember me Imon Da, but I really liked this version. Reminded me of your Bonolota Revisited. Kudos.